Welcome! We're Datum Marine ("Day-tum marine"), the small boat training guys.
Alternatively contact us to find out about arranging a course for your group at a time and place to suit you or just keep reading for lots of useful information about marine training!
A SVOP class in Vancouver.
Photo Credit: Matt "Cheers" Whelan
Changes coming to the SVOP soon, register now to avoid additional expense and time. If you hold a SVOP when the changes come into force, your SVOP will still be valid, click here for more details. Join our email list to receive email updates about these changes to the SVOP.
We're Datum Marine ("Day-tum" Marine), the small boat training guys. We concentrate on all things involving small commercial boats in British Columbia and the rest of Canada. Our purpose is one thing: To help our clients operate safely and efficiently on small commercial boats.
At Datum Marine, we make our classes relevant to small commercial vessel operators within the confines of the Transport Canada SVOP/MEDA3 and Industry Canada curriculums. Our instructors have experience driving small vessels through all weathers and all around coastal BC. We ask you to spend your hard earned money with a school who knows what you do, and where you do it.
“Git R Dun!” as we say here at Datum Marine, which is why we bundle the 3 nautical courses in a convenient and intensive 6 day package. We go where others do not. All around Western Canada, the province of BC, Vancouver and especially Vancouver Island! We take the instructor to the class. We are flexible, efficient, caring and professional. Our mandate is to help you feel empowered to do what it is you need to do to comply with new regulations so you can get back out on the water.
Please ask your local Transport Canada Marine office for the final say on all crewing and vessel regulations. However, most people on small commercial vessels need: SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency), MED A3 (Marine Emergency Duties A3), ROC-M DSC (Radio Restricted Operator Certificate Marine with Digital Selective Calling endorsement), and MBFA (Marine Basic First Aid).
Marine Safety Training - MEDA3 course participants learning about emergency distress flaresPhoto Credit: Matt "Cheers" Whelan
Upcoming Courses (click here for online registration):
Last course 2014 -
Deep Bay (Vancouver Island, BC) Comox, Courtenay, Campbell River, Parksville, Qualicum, Nanaimo
- SVOP - 8-11 December, 2014 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 - 12 December, 2014 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM - 13 December, 2014 - $150 plus GST
2015 Schedule -
Campbell River Vancouver Island BC (Comox, Courtenay, Gold River, Quadra Island, Cortes Island, Parksville, Qualicum)
- SVOP - 2-5 March, 2015 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 – 6 March, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM - 7 March, 2015 - $150 plus GST
Course Times: 8.30am - 4.30pm
Location: Maritime Heritage Centre, 621 N. Island Hwy, Campbell River, BC V9W 5C1
Tofino (Vancouver Island), BC (Ucluelet, Port Alberni.....)
- 16 March, 2015 - MEDA3 - $150 plus GST
- 17-20 March, 2015 - SVOP - $550 plus GST
- 21 March, 2015 - ROCM - $150 plus GST
Course Times: 8.30am - 4.30pm
Location: Chinook Room, Marina West Motel, 634 Campbell Street, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0
- SVOP – 30 March – 2 April, 2015 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 – 7 April, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM – 8 April, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- SVOP – 20-23 April, 2015 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 – 24 April, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM – 25 April, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- SVOP – 4-7 May, 2015 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 – 8 May, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM – 9 May, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- SVOP – 11-14 May, 2015 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 – 15 May, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM – 16 May, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- SVOP – 25-28 May, 2015 - $550 plus GST
- MEDA3 – 29 May, 2015 - $150 plus GST
- ROCM – 30 May, 2015 - $150 plus GST
SVOP classes are now 4 days long as per Transport Canada regulations, good for commercials vessels 5 Gross Tons or less, or commercial Fishing vessels 15 Gross Tons or less.
PLEASE NOTE: CDN (candidate document numbers) Numbers are required before we can release your certificates! Apply from Transport Canada in Victoria, Vancouver, Nanaimo or Prince Rupert in person for free, or you can apply by mail. Click here for more information.
When you register for SVOP or MED A3 classes, you are registering with Datum Marine Services Ltd., a Transport Canada Course Provider. Datum Marine instructors are recognised examiners for the ROCM course on behalf Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons.
Our instructors create a relaxed and friendly learning environment, you will have fun whilst you learn!Photo Credit: Matt "Cheers" Whelan