With our group bookings we have noticed that quite often our group clients have space in the class for a few participants, meanwhile here at Datum we always have a waiting list of people who need training. So, if you book your group for a SVOP, MEDA3 or ROCM course and allow us to put our participants into your group class, we will give you a discount for each participant. This makes our group rates even more economical and allow you to have the training you need at a time and place to suit you.
Please refer to this page often for the latest news, gossip, information and job opportunities for British Columbia and western Canada small commercial vessel maritime world.
Datum Marine Services Ltd 2014 spring schedule is now online. We have small vessel training courses (SVOP, MEDA3 and ROCM) running on Vancouver Island in Campbell River, Port McNeill / Port Hardy and Port Alberni and in the Lower Mainland/ Vancouver area (Richmond).
Datum Marine is pleased to announce our 2013 classes available at Steveston at the Historic Britannia Shipyard facility. Please see the course schedule tab for the prices and times.
Datum Marine Services Ltd is proud to announce that in partnership with the City of Richmond, we are bringing the SVOP, MEDA3 and ROCM marine training classes to the Heritage Shipyard, Steveston in April this year.
The Britania Shipyard is the oldest shipyard in British Columbia, absorb this wonderful maritime heritage whilst you get qualified to operate a small commercial vessel or just get more knowledge to help you enjoy driving your own boat.
Bookings are being taken by the City of Richmond, Program Registration (courses).
For more information on the Britania Heritage Shipyard and other Richmond Heritage Sites check out the City of Richmond website.
Well 2012 sure has flown by...
Datum Marine has been doing a boatload of marine training for groups around Coastal BC including first nations in Northern BC, the Central Coast and on Vancouver Island, RCMP for all of British Columbia, RCM-SAR as the new "Coast Guard Auxilliary" is now called, DFO, Marine Harvest, Mainstream, Interfor and Westernfor.
If I see another Man OverBoard drill, I'll know it must be spring!
I'd like to thank all our clients for giving us the opportunity to get on the water and pass along our knowledge with professionalism and style. Safety on the water in the marine training world is always our number one concern. But we know our participants leave feeling confident in boat docking, vessel handling, safety drills, marine navigation and sailing boats on heavy seas.
See you all in 2013!
Phew......Labour Day weekend's done! Hope everyone's summer was as busy as ours. Datum Marine Services Ltd will be offering SVOP, MEDA3 ad ROCM classes again this fall. We have classes running in Parksville, Campbell River and New Westminster (Vancouver). Or if you have a few people that need their tickets we can bring the classes to you!
Give me a call for more information,
Queenie 250 726 6058
How do I get a 'C' number for my boat?
Find out how to register your vessel
All non-pleasure vessels (small commercial vessels), powered by an engine of 10HP or more, are required to be commercially registered. If your vessel is less than 15 gross tonnes, you can register it with the Small Vessel Register which is cheaper and more straight-forward than the full registration with the Canadian Register of Vessels. If your vessel is more than 15GT or you want to register a mortgage on your boat, you will have to register it with the full Canadian Register of Vessels.
Follow these steps to register a vessel on the Small Vessel Register:
- Complete an Application for Registry to the Small Vessel Register
- Complete a Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration (you must be either a Canadian Citizen, Permamnant Resident or Canadian Corporation)
- Complete an Appointment of Authorised Representative (if required)
- Complete a Simplified Method of Tonnage Measurement. You can choose the following methods to calculate gorss tonnage:
- Assigned Formal Tonnage
- Vessel not more than 8.5m - assigned gross tonnage of 4.99
- Vessel more than 8.5m but not more than 10.5m - assigned gross tonnage of 9.99
- Vessel more than 10.5m but not more than 12m - assigned tonnage of 14.99
- Calculated Tonnage Measurement - have you vessel measured for tonnage by either the Simplified Method or by a professional measurer.
- Assigned Formal Tonnage
You will also need to submit the following to Transport Canada along with your application:
- Original Bill of Sale or other documentation confirming the transfer of ownership
- $50 processing fee
Whilst Datum endevers to keep our website up-to-date with current legislation, for the final word on marine matters, you should consult with Transport Canada. For more information on vessel registration check-out the Transport Canada website.
There are still a few spaces left for next weeks SVOP, MEDA3 and ROCM classes in Cowichan Bay, Duncan. The SVOP and MEDA3 will be held at the Cowichan Bay Wooden Boat society and the ROCM is going to be at the OceanFront Suites, Cowichan Bay.
We are looking forward to spending time in beautiful Cow Bay!
Classes coming up in Port Hardy, Tofino, Campbell River and Port Alberni. Get ready for the upcoming tourism season, get certified...get back on the water.
Transport Canada is asking for input from the public and stakeholders on its Marine Safety Service Standards. Follow the this link for your chance to voice any concerns you may have (until the end of March):
They are asking for feed-back on the following:
- Pleasure Craft Licensing and Pleasure Craft Operator Competency
- Marine Personnel Programs (Certificates of Competency; Approved Training; Direct Examinations; Examination Services; Safe Manning Documents; Medical Certificates; Maritime Labour Licences and Certificates; Seafarers’ Documents; and Dispensations)
- Vessel Inspection and Certification Services; Small Vessel Compliance Program Services; Ship Radio Inspection; Vessel Registry Services; Marine Technical Review Board; and Marine Insurance Unit
- Cargo Inspection and Port State Control Programs
- Navigable Waters Protection Program
If you want a job in in the marine tousim industry for this summer now's the time to start applying. We are marketing to many fishing lodges, whale-watching and sport fishing companies and they are telling us that they are now looking at their staffing for the upcoming summer season.
If you already have your small boat tickets (SVOP, MEDA3, ROCM and MBFA) this will put your resume at the top of pile! Sign up with Datum Marine today and get ahead of the crowd, our instructors often hear about opportunities and can give advice on applying for jobs in the marine industry.
- ocean navigation
- small boat
- med a3
- campbell river
- vessel inspection
- small vessel operator proficiency
- summer job
- marine safety
- small vessel register
- small vessel inspection
- whale watching certification
- group booking
- small vessel compliance program
- port hardy
- motor boat skill
- certificates of competency
- marine emergency duties
- new westminster
- annual compliance report
- small commercial vessel operations
- blue decal
- vhf radio
- marine radio
- fishing guide certification
- marine job
- vancouver island
- small vessel operator
- marine personnel programs
- boat safety
- boat training
- small vessel self inspection
- marine training
- transport canada
- canadian register of vessels
- pleasure craft licensing
- cowichan bay
- c number
- port alberni
- vessel registration
- pleasure craft operator competency
- british columbia coastal commercial ships
- restricted operators certificates marine
- sport fishing