ROCM - $150 plus GST - 1-day course (8 hours)

Restricted Operator Course Maritime (MarineVHF radio... ROC-M) is required for all boats using DSC (Digital Selective Calling) VHF radios within 25 miles of shore. As long as you do not operate further out, or your vessel is licensed to go no more than 25 nautical Miles offshore, an ROC-M course (one day) course will do. ROC-MC is NOT normally required in these cases and not available at Datum Marine at this time. If in doubt, please consult with your local Transport Canada office. 

ROC-M is a one day course and has a maximum capacity of 18 students. Coursework includes proper radio conversation protocol, Digital Selective Calling emergency procedures and information concerning the new GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress and Safety System). Students require nothing for classes, however there is a textbook available on request (cost $40).

Radio VHF classroom ROC-M (photo: Matt Whelan)

Photo Credit: Matt "Cheers" Whelan

If you have previously taken a radio certificate (older classes involved making radio calls and learning the phonetic alphabet) your ROC-M may have expired. If you do not have a laminated restricted operator card (it should indicate it is "DSC compliant"), your ROC-M has expired. You will need to take the course again because the technology has changed so much over the years. There is a lot behind the technology connecting your VHF to your GPS!

Exam challenge for ROC-M is not available.

Please email for more details or call 1-855-655-2628.

Apply for MMSI number from Industry Canada:

Follow this link to download a PDF file to apply for an MMSI number from Industry Canada. Be sure to read carefully to see which form is best for you. Typically small commercial vessels operating without EPIRB and no more than 25 Nautical Miles from shore would look at filling out Annex B because vessel operators are required to have ROC-M and required to have DSC capable VHF radios on board.

Industry Canada MMSI Page

Datum Marine does not make decisions or provide legal advice to get through Transport Canada Marine regulations. We try to stay up to date with regulations, and we try to provide courses which are the best fit, but for the final word on what you need for your job as far as certification goes, call your local Transport Canada Marine Safety office.

Small commercial vessel operators typically require SVOP, MED A3, MBFA and ROC-M, which is why we try to provide all four courses, at locations convenient for individuals and groups.