Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Which courses do I need?
To operate a small commercial vessel less than 5 gross ton, less than 25 nautical miles from shore with up to 12 passengers you will need the following minimum certifications:
1. SVOP – small vessel operator proficiency
2. MEDA3 – marine emergency duties (MEDA3 is the minimum, there are other longer MED courses for larger vessels)
3. ROCM – restricted operator certificate maritime (if the vessel you are operating is fitted with a a marine VHF radio) – (ROCM is the minimum, there are other longer Marine VHF courses)
4. MBFA marine basic first aid (or other provincially recognized 2-day first aid certification)
There are some exceptions to the above (for smaller boats operating in Sheltered Waters), for more information click here
2. When, where and how much are your courses?
We do not run courses during July and August.
Please click here to register (with a credit card or email transfer)
We run regular courses in Richmond (Vancouver), Victoria (Saanich) and Campbell River.
3. How do I register?
Please click here to register (with a credit card or email transfer). We require full payment to confirm your registration for a course (but we have a very flexible cancellation policy, see below).
If your employer is paying for your course, please email email@example.com . In your email please indicate which courses you want to register for and who to contact about payment.
4. Refunds and Cancellations
Once we advertise a course, it will run (no cancellations due to lack of participants)
If you cannot attend the course, let us know at least 24-hours BEFORE the course and we will issue you a full refund, no questions asked (no show, no refund).
5. When should I register?
Our courses tend to sell-out, don’t miss out, register as soon as you can!
6. What’s the minimum age to take our courses?
You must be at least 16 years old to take the SVOP and MEDA3. But to be the captain (sole-operator) of a small commercial vessel you must be at least 18 years old.
7. Which courses do we offer?
We specialize in Small Boat training courses only, we only offer the following 3 courses :
- SVOP – small vessel operator proficiency
- MEDA3 – marine emergency duties
- ROCM – restricted operator certificate maritime
8. Are there any Pre-requisites for these courses? Is there any pre-reading or pre-study required?
Our courses are designed to get someone with little or no experience to the required level, NO PRE-READING required. NO PRE-REQUISITES. NO PRE-STUDY!
It is not economical for us to send out textbooks ahead of time as we get so many cancellations.
Turn up on time and pay attention and we will do our very best to get you successfully through our courses.
9. Do the SVOP, MEDA3 and ROCM certifications have an expiry date?
No, the SVOP, MEDA3 and ROCM do NOT expire. These certifications do NOT need to be renewed.
10. I’ve lost my certificate, how do I get a replacement?
If you took your SVOP or MEDA3 with us, we can issue you replacement certificates for a small charge ($25 per certificate). Please firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, date of birth (and if you remember, where you took the course).
ROCM cards are issued by Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons, you can order a replacement ROCM card online, click here for the link.
11. Where can I find out about upcoming regulation changes to the MEDA3 and SVOP?
Click here for more information about changes coming to the SVOP certification
Click here for more information about changes coming to the MEDA3 certification
All existing SVOP and MEDA3 certifications will still to be valid.
12. I have Marine Certifications issued by another country, are they valid in Canada?
Please contact Transport Canada to find out about transferring certifications from another country.
13. When will I get my certificates?
We issue SVOP and MEDA3 certificates to successful participants at the end of each course.
Successful ROCM participants will receive a temporary certificate a the end of the course. The ROCM course is administered, for all course providers, by Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons. They mail ROCM cards to participants 6-8 weeks after the course.
14. Is there an exam?
There is a multiple choice exam at the end of each course. You may ask the instructor for help if you do not understand an exam question (the instructor will not give you the answer (!) but can help you understand the question)
Please let us know if you have literacy issues and we will do our best to help you out.
15. Do I have to attend the whole course?
YES! However much experience you have, you must attend the whole course to pass (you can NOT miss a day, a morning or an afternoon).
Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons sometimes offer an “exam challenge” option for the ROCM course, please contact them for more information: http://www.cps-ecp.ca/
16. Can I take these courses online?
No, there are no online options currently available for these course.
17. Do I get to drive a boat during these courses?
The SVOP, MEDA3 and ROCM courses are all classroom based. Transport Canada does not require practical on-the-water training at this level.
We can offer practical training for an additional cost, please email email@example.com for more information.
18. Do you offer Private, Group training?
Yes, we provide private group training all over BC, the Yukon and beyond! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please note we tend to get booked-up a long time in advance.